Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Mixed Bag

Well it's been quite a busy day in this household.  My day started out pretty well ... I got stuck into some sewing.  I was busy busy working away and completed what I wanted to do.  Until!!! I realised I had made a HUGE mistake and it was going to take me some time to undo it and fix it up.

So .... with that in mind ... I put the sewing down and entered the kitchen.  First, however, I want to show you the beginnings of my vegie garden.  Now, seeing as I don't have a vegie 'patch'' as such, I have planted my zuchini's in pots to get them started.


something tells me I'm going to have zuchini's coming out of my ears ....


I got so carried away, I didn't realise how many I had actually planted LOL

I also plated some tomato plants -- I want to make some chutneys and spreads with them!




not completely sure I need that many tomato plants ..... however, I will march on and find them all a purpose.  I promise to keep you posted on their development and who know's what I may make with them.  All to come soon!!

All my babies are doing well!!!
moving on ...

speaking of babies, I had to take a pic of my darling boy on my way to the kitchen




dreaming of mice and cheese no doubt!!!


Ok .. so into the kitchen we go.  And I decided to make a decadent chocolate mud cake.  Even the mix was delightful ... and yes, I had to lick the bowl.



In that little blue bowl is the most delicious blend of chocolate, butter, coffee, water and sugar.  I had to get it into the tin to stop myself eating it lol

and the result of that mouth watering cake mix ....




one of the most scrumptious chocolate cakes i've ever tasted!!!

The receipe is as follows:

250g unsalted butter, chopped
200g Cadbury milk cooking chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon Instant coffee powder
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 3/4 cups Castor sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups Self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup Cadbury Bournville Cocoa


Preheat your oven to 160 degrees celcius (conventional oven) 140 degrees celcius (fan forced).  Grease and line the base of a 28cm cake pan.  Combine butter and chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and melt over low heat.    Dissolve coffee in boiling water, and add with sugar to chocolate mixture and stir to dissolve sugar.
Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes. (I let mine cool a bit longer than this)  Using an electric mixer gradually add eggs., (I dont have an electric mixer, so just beat it by hand with whisk and worked fine) then flour and cocoa.  Mix for another 2 minutes or until evenly combined.  Pour into cake pan and bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours.  (I found one hour to be sufficient).  Once cooked test with skewer and allow to cook in tin for 30 minutes before turning out.  Enjoy!!




But I couldn't stop there, for dinner I cooked up a Thai-flavoured Chicken mince in lettuce cups --- my tastebuds were doing cartwheels over this one.

receipe is:

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
750g chicken mince
1 bunch coriander
1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 teaspoons brown sugar
small lettuce cups


Heat the oil in a fry pan over medium heat.  Add the onion.  Cook, stirring occasionally for three minutes or until the onion is soft.  Add mince. Cook, (use a wooden spoon to break up the mince) for 10 minutes or until browned.

Meanwhile, cut roots of coriander and discard.  Finely chop up bunch of coriander. Add chopped coriander to mince with sweet chilli, fish sauce, lemon juice and sugar.  Stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Place a couple of spoonfuls into your lettuce cups, wrap and eat.

This is the most delicious meal and its so incredibly quick and easy to make.  My daughter absolutely love it!!

and finally ... all washed down with an amazing light display




it's been a while since we have had such a beautiful sunset. What a way to finish my day!

till next time ...........

1 comment: